A couple of heards:

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Thu Jan 16 15:37:10 UTC 2014

On Jan 16, 2014, at 8:17 AM, Jonathan Lighter wrote:

> "Red-headed stepchild" is the way I heard it, maybe thirty years ago.
>
> JL

I think we've discussed this, with the added fillip that the early version didn't involve a stepchild as such, but the natural offspring of the milkman (or whoever), as detectable by the red hair that doesn't run in the family of either putative parent.  Here's Michael Quinion's take:  http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-red2.htm

LH