Stumbled across the spelling, _'till_, from 1762

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Sat Jan 18 00:41:39 UTC 2014

I'm forced to admit, wum mo' wince, that what was old is new, again, and is
not an "error" originating some time after 1954, when I completed four
years of *intensive* study of the proper spelling - five class-hours a week
of English, each hour opening with a spelling test - of literary English.

Youneverknow.

Count Basie popularized the phrase, "one more once," but Saint Louis, as
usual, was different. Just as we preferred "from the BE-ginning" to "from
the get-go," so also we preferred "one more 'gain [gIn]" to "one more once."

--
-Wilson
-----