antedating of y'all (1702)

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Sat Jan 18 01:09:04 UTC 2014

We sometimes said "you all" even in NYC when we meant "all of you"; but not
habitually and absolutely *not* when we meant "the two of you."

That's the diff between "you all" and "you all."

Of course, white native New Yorkers never said "y'all" under any any
circumstances, at least not in my hearing.

As I've noted, what we need is not an isolated "you all" or even a "y'all"
in the 18th C. or earlier. We need one used clearly (and, better yet,
routinely) in informal address to two people.

Whether Ben's exx. meet that necessary criterion is not clear to me.

With countless thousands of Southern Civil War letters now available,
surely such "you all"s  should be vast easily findable in large numbers
from the period 1861-65.

Are there? If not, why not?

JL