Now, [dZ] for [Z]

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Sat Jan 18 05:47:57 UTC 2014

On Thu, Jan 16, 2014 at 8:14 AM, Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at gmail.com>wrote:

> The usual British pronunciation is like "garridges".

I've heard "GA-rahzhes" in movies. In fact, this was my first clue that [Z]
even existed in English. I've always said "guh-RAHJ, rooj [rouge], MEH-jure
[measure], Jon [Jeanne], bei-JING, rahj [raj]," etc.

OT: I've known people from both Los Angeles and Boston named "Jeanne" who
pronounce it "genie." My pronunciation of the name as "Jon" is from Saint
Louis, going back to the years before I understood that "American" was not
the universal language. From war movies, I knew that the members of the
Axis spoke other languages. But, given the fact that they weren't people,
in any meaningful sense, that fact meant nothing.

At the time, I had a problem eoth girls having a name spelled "Jeanne," but
pronounced "Jon," which is a boy's name, anyway. These days, I don't
understand why "Jeanie/Genie" ( a classmate at Davis used the latter
spelling) is spelled "Jeanne" by a lot of people.

--
-Wilson
-----