_microfiche_: was ist das?

Mon Jan 20 17:40:56 UTC 2014

Microfilm and microfiche are the same stuff, just stored differently.
Microfilm is in very long strips, stored on reels, like motion picture film
or videotape, if any of you are old enough to remember them.  Microfiche is
cut up into 3x5 or 4x6 inch cards, usually holding up to about 100 images.
The fiche are a pain in the ass for librarians, since if one is taken out
for use, there is a too-good chance that it will be put back in the wrong
place, especially if the cabinets are accessible to the public.  Microfilm
reels hold thousands of images, and so are convenient for long runs of
magaznes and newspapers, and are easier to keep in order, but can be
wasteful of drawer space, if they carry only a book or a few pamphlets on
just a couple of yards of film.

Let's not get into microcards and microprint.

The image of stock certificates and bonds piling up behind a microfilming
camera between one spring cleaning and the next is a useful reminder that
it's not just the present generation of money-manipulators who are careless
and incompetent.
Let's not get into over-paid, either.

GAT

--
George A. Thompson
Univ. Pr., 1998, but nothing much since then.