A-Game

Wed Jan 22 06:08:40 UTC 2014

The term "A game" also drew the interest of sharp-eyed Barry Popik who
created an entry last year with citations starting in the 1990s.

"A" Game
Entry from February 12, 2013
http://www.barrypopik.com/index.php/new_york_city/entry/a_game/

So, I suspect that JL, Barry, and Victor would all agree that "A game"
is worthy of consideration for inclusion in the OED.

Here is the 1968 golf example I posted previously

[ref] 1968 August 13, Omaha World-Herald, Nicklaus, Elder Restore
Drama by Jim Murray, Quote Page 16, Column 1, Omaha, Nebraska.
(GenealogyBank)[/ref]

[Begin excerpt]
Lee is never going to be able to say "we'll play even" to some pickup
gang again. Anybody who makes Jack Nicklaus take his A-game out of the
bag and scramble to win is going to give even the reigning club
champion five-a-side from now on.
[End excerpt]

Here is an example in the domain of baseball in 1980.

[ref] 1980 July 16, Marietta Journal, Rejuvenated Ivie Back In The
Game (UPI), Quote Page 5C, Marietta, Georgia. (GenealogyBank)[/ref]

[Begin excerpt]
Manager Dave Bristol said bluntly: "I can handle his coming back, but
can he?" If he puts his A game out there it will be fine."

The "A" game would be the type of offense he displayed last year when
he hit .289 with 27 homers and 89 RBI in 402 at bats. figures
remarkably similar to MVP Willie Stargell of Pittsburgh.
[End excerpt]

I apologize for not searching Barry's site and for not searching the
ADS archives for cliff hanger (cliffhanger).

Garson