"out of" = 'in'

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Wed Jan 22 22:45:44 UTC 2014

No. Huge difference.

The confident pace and inflection of the spoken utterance conveyed the
unmistakable idea that "out of Norman" referred to the location of the
University and not the origin of the story.

Otherwise it would have been customary and journalistically idiomatic to
have said, "[And now, breaking news] out of Norman, Oklahoma: [a report of]
shots fired at the University of Oklahoma [there in Norman. That breaking
news out of Norman, Oklahoma...]."

Few newspeople seem to say "from" anywhere, if they can say "out of."
 That's been true for many years.

JL