WOTY -- "Great Firewall"

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Thu Jan 23 20:44:13 UTC 2014

At 1/23/2014 03:33 PM, Benjamin Barrett wrote:
>Wikipedia says this censorship tool began development in 1998 and
>went into operation in 2003, which is after the 2001 citations. The
>article, though, lists a citation in "Wired" in 1997, so it seems
>there must have been a separate firewall project that is also
>referred to as the Great Firewall.

The 1998 development must be the Beta release of the Great Great
Firewall, which succeeded so notably this week.  I see a 2002 article
at the NYTimes which says "Some Chinese Internet users are reporting
more sophisticated and fine-tuned filtering of their browsing,
searching and e-mailing recently, suggesting a newly refined and
focused approach in the government's efforts to control Web content
coming into and out of
China."  http://www.nytimes.com/2002/10/01/news/01iht-chinet_ed3_.html

>The Wiki article says this censorship is managed at six Internet gateways.

I thought I read from one of this week's articles that it was three,
but I can't find that now.

Joel