question from another list about 'takras'

Bethany Dumas bethany.dumas at GMAIL.COM
Wed Jan 29 19:36:27 UTC 2014

"In Norwegian we have the term 'takras', a compound which literally means
'roof slide' (or 'roof avalanche'). This word is used both to describe the
action (the snow and/or ice on the roof is sliding and falling down, there
goes a 'takras' or to describe the heap of snow and ice that has fallen
down and is now lying on the pavement or somewhere else where it is not
supposed to be and has to be cleared away. It is also used metaphorically
to describe someone who might need some attention and tidying up. Is there
any such word in English?"


The American Dialect Society -

More information about the Ads-l mailing list