question from another list about 'takras'

Amy West medievalist at W-STS.COM
Thu Jan 30 13:40:29 UTC 2014

On 1/30/14 12:01 AM, Automatic digest processor wrote:
> Date:    Wed, 29 Jan 2014 14:36:27 -0500
> From:    Bethany Dumas<bethany.dumas at GMAIL.COM>
> Subject: question from another list about 'takras'
> "In Norwegian we have the term 'takras', a compound which literally means
> 'roof slide' (or 'roof avalanche'). This word is used both to describe the
> action (the snow and/or ice on the roof is sliding and falling down, there
> goes a 'takras' or to describe the heap of snow and ice that has fallen
> down and is now lying on the pavement or somewhere else where it is not
> supposed to be and has to be cleared away. It is also used metaphorically
> to describe someone who might need some attention and tidying up. Is there
> any such word in English?"
> Bethany
Have you gotten any replies off list?

Not that I know of, but the folks in the Buffalo-Syracuse are might.
I'll ask some informants, but this might be a question to direct also to

---Amy West

The American Dialect Society -

More information about the Ads-l mailing list