by the each

Fri Jan 31 20:57:04 UTC 2014

It seems odd to me.

It could even come from a failure to change the settings on the label printer properly. For example, it said, "By the dozen" and the operator changes just "dozen" to "each." (And the operator might even judge by analogy that "by the each" is correct groceryese and set it that way without ever having actually heard the formulation.)

The first hit on Google is http://grammar.ccc.commnet.edu/grammar/grammarlogs3/grammarlogs403.htm, which dates it to 14 September 2000.

Benjamin Barrett
Formerly of Seattle, WA

Learn Ainu! https://sites.google.com/site/aynuitak1/videos