ADS-L Digest - 7 Jul 2014 to 8 Jul 2014 (#2014-19)

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Wed Jul 9 14:22:20 UTC 2014

On Jul 9, 2014, at 8:51 AM, Elizabeth J. Pyatt wrote:

> I would agree that pragmatically this sentence doesn't work because most terrestrial plants can't choose to cultivate themselves. Further "cultivate" is not generally considered an unaccusative verb like "start" or "close" - that is, the verb assumes there is an active agent initiating the cultivation.

Interesting suggestion, but I'm not sure how general it is.  I think the possessive may be part of it, as well as whether what follows "start" is a verb or noun:

"The Titanic started sinking at 11:40 p.m on April 15,1912" (Google hit; there are others like it)
#The Titanic started its sinking at 11:40…

The Titanic started submerging at 11:40p.m.
#The Titanic started its submersion at 11:40p.m.

The bulldozers starting demolishing the house at noon.
#The bulldozers started their demolition of the house at noon.
The workers started their demolition of the house at noon.

On the other hand, I see lots of hits for "X started its decline", where X = Rome, liberalism, Nokia, the WWF, MMA,…

LH