Spanish Origin of Miniskirt?

Sun Jul 13 19:38:35 UTC 2014

I can't confirm the date, but the following link claims "miniskirt" from 1960:

http://books.google.com/books?id=QnAUAQAAMAAJ&q=%22miniskirt%22&dq=%22miniskirt%22&hl=en&sa=X&ei=dtzCU4aUEpGHogSB8YCICA&ved=0CDEQ6AEwAA

No preview is provided, but the following is claimed to be from 1955 for "mini skirt":

http://books.google.com/books?id=GUuukQEACAAJ&dq=%22mini+skirt%22&hl=es&sa=X&ei=oN7CU6G2LpDuoASqt4CQDA&ved=0CBwQ6AEwAA

I don't know if you saw these, but FWIW.

Also, searching for "minifalda" on Google Books yields a few hits. I don't speak Spanish, but the 1900 and 1933 hits look like  red herrings. The 1951 hit looks relevant:

http://books.google.com/books?id=K3COAAAAIAAJ&q=%22minifalda%22&dq=%22minifalda%22&hl=es&sa=X&ei=NN_CU4yLJ8_3oAS6nIFI&ved=0CCcQ6AEwAg

-----
SALARIO MINIMO- cubre al obrero lo que la minifalda cubre a la chica nada.
-----

There is also a 1911 hit for "mini-falda":
http://books.google.com/books?id=ZO4qAAAAMAAJ&q=%22mini+falda%22&dq=%22mini+falda%22&hl=es&sa=X&ei=BuDCU9PGHpH4oASbmoLQAQ&ved=0CCcQ6AEwAA

Benjamin Barrett
Formerly of Seattle, WA

Learn Ainu! https://sites.google.com/site/aynuitak1/home