Miniskirt influence?

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Tue Jul 15 23:27:47 UTC 2014

On Jul 15, 2014, at 3:10 PM, Joel S. Berson wrote:

> At 7/15/2014 10:51 AM, Baker, John wrote:
>> Yes, hemlines get higher (i.e., skirts get shorter) when the economy improves and the stock market goes up, and vice versa.  The effect is particularly easy to observe for the period 1920 - 1970.
>
> And pleasant to observe broadly.
>
> JSB

On the other hand, if they rise too high, the garment industry doesn't require as much material, hurting the manufacturing industry, and the clothiers can't charge as much for their dresses and skirts because of the reduced amount of fabric, leading to reduced income and less money in circulation, sending the economy into a tailspin, leading to longer hemlines.

LH