The power of social media -- and the purposes of the air

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Thu Jul 17 16:56:27 UTC 2014

According to a local radio breaking news item (close paraphrasing):

"Ukrainian separatists are claiming that they shot down a Malaysia
Air passenger plane using social media."

Or perhaps merely the power of the almighty misplaced clause.

And from
http://abcnews.go.com/International/malaysian-air-loses-contact-passenger-plane-ukraine/story?id=24599558

  Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko confirmed that the plane
"disappeared from radar screens."

"In recent days, this is the third tragic accident after the Russian
territory were downed aircraft AN-26 and SU-25 Armed Forces of
Ukraine. We do not exclude that this aircraft was also shot down, and
stress that the Armed Forces of Ukraine did not commit any action to
defeat the purposes of the air," he added in a statement.

(I do not attest to the correctness of the transcription of President
Poroshenko's "In recent days" sentence.)

Joel