"Quidditch" Not in OED

Shapiro, Fred fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
Mon Jul 21 16:04:20 UTC 2014

In the past I have used terms like "ewok" from Star Wars as examples of the type of term I am thinking of.  It occurs to me that another example is the specific Star Wars sense of the word "force," which I think should be in OED.

Fred Shapiro

From: American Dialect Society [ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] on behalf of Jeff Prucher [000000b93183dc86-dmarc-request at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU]
Sent: Monday, July 21, 2014 12:43 AM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: "Quidditch" Not in OED

The Shorter OED, 5th ed. (which is editorially independent from the OED) includes an entry for "dilithium" in the Star Trek sense -- but not the chemical sense -- without noting any figurative usage. AFAIK, it's the only Oxford dictionary to include this term, however. I've always sort of wondered what it's doing in there; I don't know how extensive their coverage of words exclusive to popular texts is, but that would make an interesting study.

Jeff Prucher