Snake Mary (UNCLASSIFIED)

Mullins, Bill CIV (US) william.d.mullins18.civ at MAIL.MIL
Wed Jul 30 15:55:42 UTC 2014

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

> In the banner spread above, "fairy" means "gay man." I had *no* idea
> that "fairy" could ever  have been used so casually in the headline of
> one of the "Big Three" of national black newspapers.

Harlem's Queer Escort Bureau No 'Fairy' Tale
The Chicago Defender May 15, 1954; pg. 3

Are The Fairies Running Harlem?
New York Amsterdam News Feb 12, 1955; pg. 5

Flight Of The Fairies
The Chicago Defender Oct 22, 1955; pg. 2

'Fairy Shaking' and D.C. Cops
The Washington Post Dec 2, 1997; pg. A26

FAIRY-SPOTTING: A HISTORICAL VIEW
New York Times Jun 13, 1999; pg. SM13