same place -- same time [was: Vlad and Dracula]

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Sun Jun 1 15:34:52 UTC 2014

They -- the Impaler and the Count; Clark and
Superman -- always *are* in the same place at the
same time.  It's just that only one or the other
is visible to any observer at any one time.  See Schrödinger's cat.

Thus the answer to the question "Have you ever
seen X and Y in the same place at the same time?"
will be "No."  But the researchers are asking the
wrong question.  It should be "Have X and Y both
been seen in the same place at the same time?"

It is no coincidence that Schrödinger's cat and
Superman both appeared around the same time --
circa 1935.  But not in the same place.  The
influence of the Copenhagen interpretation of
quantum mechanics on Siegel and Shuster has yet to be properly analyzed.

Joel