"Dead man's float" (and not in OED)

Spanbock/Svoboda-Spanbock spanbocks at VERIZON.NET
Sun Jun 1 23:38:44 UTC 2014

I have a hard time understanding how being vertical could provide more buoyancy, since you are distributing the same amount of mass over a greater area if you lie horizontally, thereby becoming relatively less dense and therefore more buoyant?

--
Kate