"Dead man's float"

Spanbock/Svoboda-Spanbock spanbocks at VERIZON.NET
Mon Jun 2 19:44:31 UTC 2014

But if you drop a toothpick into a bowl of water point down, it will rise to a horizontal position, i.e. presumably the most naturally efficient position for floatation, which I presume is what we mean by most buoyant. It will also stay horizontal if you drop it in horizontally. I just tested it, to be sure that I wasn't crazy.

It has been more than 25 years since I studied Archimedes, but, I think there must be some problem in equating the magnitude of the force involved with buoyancy?

--
Kate