"Grey dog" = "Greyhound bus"

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Thu Jun 5 19:23:50 UTC 2014

On Jun 5, 2014, at 3:03 PM, Jonathan Lighter wrote:

> Note 1956 ex. of "the joint" (jail or prison), pretty early for general pop
> culture.
>
> (Earlier in joint glossaries. See HDAS.)
>
> JL

My bad.  This was evidently one of Dolly's emendations to avoid the "man"/"can" rhyme.  The original first verse was actually:

Got in a little trouble at the county seat
                                              G7     C
Lord they put me in the jailhouse for loafing on the street

When the judge heard the verdict I was a guilty man
                                     G7          C
He said forty-five dollars or thirty days in the can

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDbylmeOdaY

Sorry for the false lead.

LH