Petro?

imwitty imwitty at GMAIL.COM
Sat Jun 7 00:30:33 UTC 2014

I don't have here any Ukrainian textbooks and dictionaries, but from the
top of my head, I can give you two more male Ukrainian names with the same
pattern of stress: Pavlo (Paul), and Dmitro (the closest analog is
Demetrius from Greek "loving the earth" -- remember that Greek deity
Demetra?)

With such interest in Ukrainian you probably might find some classes?
(;'-)))

On Fri, Jun 6, 2014 at 4:12 PM, W Brewer <brewerwa at gmail.com> wrote:

> -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       W Brewer <brewerwa at GMAIL.COM>
> Subject:      Re: Petro?

> Yes, that's all very fascinating. Now focus:  What's the etymology of
> <<Petro>>?  Why is it pronounced [peh-TROH]?  Are there other Ukrainian
> imyeni like it, with final stressed [-o]?  Baby steps. I'm sure we'll get
> there. Some day.

L.
Please reply to imwitty at gmail.com
This e-mail is a natural product.  The slight
variations in spelling and grammar enhance
its individual character and beauty and in no
way are to be considered flaws or defects.