"trigger warning"

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Sat Jun 7 13:46:58 UTC 2014

It's potentially worse than asking that
professors issue warnings -- there is a push that
books be labeled.  Say as "entartete Kunst".  Or with a yellow star.

 From the NYTimes, "Warning: The Literary Canon
Could Make Students Squirm", By JENNIFER MEDINA
(on-line May 17, 2014; print May 18, Sunday Review, front page):

"Would any book that addresses racism — like “The
Adventures of Huckleberry Finn” or “Things Fall
Apart” — have to be preceded by a note of
caution? Do sexual images from Greek mythology
need to come with a viewer-beware label?"

"... slapping warning labels on famous literary
works, as other advocates of trigger warnings have proposed."

The next week's SundayReview letters column was
titled "Caveat lector".  A few writers defended such warnings.

Joel