tall tales

Herb Stahlke hfwstahlke at GMAIL.COM
Sat Jun 7 17:06:40 UTC 2014

Today's Indy Star (June 7, 2014, p. A4) reports on a father-son team
planning a 30-day flight around the world in a small plane.  In the final
paragraph, the father says, "If all goes well, my son will be going back to
school for his senior year with some tall tales to tell."

>From the context, I interpret "tall tales" to mean "impressive stories,"
rather than "improbable or outrageous stories."  The usual interpretation
is possible but sounds odd in this context.  I checked several online
dictionaries for "tall tale" and all of them give the latter definition,
not the former.

Herb