Antedating of "boffin"

Geoffrey Steven Nathan geoffnathan at WAYNE.EDU
Thu Jun 12 13:11:46 UTC 2014

Our local independent classical radio station (WRCJ-FM, wrcjfm.org--listening to it now) has a couple of long-time classical DJ's. One of them frequently refers to the technical people behind the scenes as 'back-room boffins'.

I'm not sure whether it's one more instance of the recent British re-invasion (cf 'one-off', 'agreed [without 'upon'], and other instances discussed here) or whether it's left over from immediately post-WWII.

Actually, I'm meeting with him next week--if I remember, I'll ask him.

Geoff

Geoffrey S. Nathan
Faculty Liaison, C&IT
and Professor, Linguistics Program
http://blogs.wayne.edu/proftech/
+1 (313) 577-1259 (C&IT)

Nobody at Wayne State will EVER ask you for your password. Never send it to anyone in an email, no matter how authentic the email looks.