Antedating of "boffin"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Thu Jun 12 15:00:57 UTC 2014

If all conjectures are ungrounded in prior evidence, it seems fair to say
that the origin is "unknown," even if newly discovered evidence eventually
shows that one was in fact correct.

For phonological reasons only, I've always connected "boffin" with
"puffin." If the words someday do turn out to be genetically related, I
don't think that means that the assertion today of a relationship means the
etymology of "boffin" is currently other than "unknown."

JL