USEFUL IDIOTS

Shapiro, Fred fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
Thu Jun 12 21:23:45 UTC 2014

In quick searches of the newspaper databases, I see the earliest usage of "useful idiot" or "useful idiots" in a Communist context as N.Y. Times, June 21, 1948.  The earliest usage I see that attributes "useful idiot" or "useful idiots" to Lenin is Christian Science Monitor, July 14, 1961.

Fred Shapiro

From: American Dialect Society [ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] on behalf of Laurence Horn [laurence.horn at YALE.EDU]
Sent: Wednesday, June 11, 2014 8:19 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: Antedating of "Fellow Traveler"

On the same topic, is there an early cite for "useful idiot", which was supposedly used by Lenin in this sense, but apparently hasn't been found in Lenin's work?  It's been revived in the right-wing blogosphere and/or Fox News to characterize Democrats who have been putatively "duped" by leftists, Islamists, or whoever.

LH