which its = "whose"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Fri Jun 13 19:08:46 UTC 2014

No fad.

Bret Harte's once beloved "Plain Language from Truthful James" (1870)
begins - begins, mind you -

Which I wish to remark,
And my language is plain,
That for ways that are dark
And for tricks that are vain,
The heathen Chinee is peculiar.

Accident? Not on your bippy. Later:

Which we had a small game,
And Ah Sin took a hand.

Harte later called it "possibly the worst poem anyone ever wrote."

It was, of course, frequently anthologized.

JL