USEFUL IDIOTS

Shapiro, Fred fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
Fri Jun 13 20:25:54 UTC 2014

I don't have full access to the Time Magazine archives, but it looks like there is probably an article mentioning "useful idiots" and "Lenin" in Time, Jan. 13, 1958.  The article appears to be headlined "Italy: From the Slums."

Fred Shapiro

From: American Dialect Society [ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] on behalf of ADSGarson O'Toole [adsgarsonotoole at GMAIL.COM]
Sent: Friday, June 13, 2014 1:50 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: USEFUL IDIOTS

Thanks Fred and LH. There is an earlier attribution of "useful idiots"
to Lenin that may interest you in the Congressional Record in 1959.
Lenin died in 1924. I posted this to the ADS list back on August 14,
2010 during a previous discussion of "useful idiots". Barry added it
to his entry on the topic.

[ref] 1959 June 30, Congressional Record - Appendix, Page A5653,
Column 2, "Useful Idiots: Extension of Remarks of Hon. Edward J.
Derwinski of Illinois in the House of Representatives, Tuesday, June
30, 1959" (LexisNexis Congressional Record Permanent Digital
Collection)[/ref]

[Begin excerpt]
This is the cold war. The leaders of the states and of the nations,
instead of going in droves to Moscow and becoming what Lenin calls
useful idiots in the Communist game, should go to Mackinac Island,
Mich., to the moral rearmament ideological war college where thousands
of our friends from the free world are coming to plan global strategy
to answer communism.
[End excerpt]

Garson