Your big-boy pants

Dave Hause dwhause at CABLEMO.NET
Sat Jun 14 04:42:29 UTC 2014

I'll stipulate the moral requirement but can't find any Constitutional
requirement to rescue citizens in trouble abroad.
Dave Hause, dwhause at cablemo.net
Waynesville, MO
----- Original Message -----
From: "Jonathan Lighter" <wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM>
To: <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Sent: Friday, June 13, 2014 12:15 PM
Subject: Re: Your big-boy pants

Watching and listening, I interpreted the precise contextual meaning not to
be "bite the bullet" (take action no matter how unpleasant) but to "grow up
and deal with the real world."

Mudd was saying that the Presdent is morally and Constitutionally obligated
to try to rescue any citizen from unlawful captivity abroad, and if that
required negotiating with the Taliban, so be it.

He was criticizing as irrelevant claims that Bergdahl was a "deserter" and
that the US was "caving" to the Talis. He acknowledged that the five
released prisoners could cause trouble later, but that was also secondary.
"There ain't no good decisions" meant that no political decision is simple,
safe, guaranteed, and unproblematic.

JL

JL