"dickhead" in the news

Sun Jun 15 22:57:01 UTC 2014

I would say that "prick" is vulgar whereas "dick" and "dickhead" are colloquial and not to be used in polite company but are no longer vulgar.

Both Wiktionary and the Mac American English dictionaries, however, classify dick and dickhead as vulgar slang.

As to the meanings, the Mac dictionary gives dick as short for dickhead.

Wiktionary has:

dickhead: A jerk; a mean or rude person.
dick: A highly contemptible person.

A very good friend of mine, however, takes pride in the fact that he's a dick, by which he means he messes with people. I would say Wiktionary's dickhead definition is closer to that meaning.

As to dorkiness, Wiktionary also has this:

dickhead: A stupid or useless person.
Example sentence: 2 + 2 is 4, dickhead.

The dorky meaning works better for me when dickhead is in the vocative case.

Benjamin Barrett
Formerly of Seattle, WA

Learn Ainu! https://sites.google.com/site/aynuitak1/videos