which its = "whose"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Mon Jun 16 12:13:23 UTC 2014

>  modern speakers with less than a high school education the
grammar of wh-relatives is sketchy and these unusual "which" constructions
are a form of hypercorrection.

That was my guess back in the '80s.

But Id change the statement to "a great many modern speakers" and delete
"with less than a high school education."

My students were all in college, and some were graduate students -  in
English!

I believe the basis of the difficulty is that people rarely need to use
these constructions in everyday speech.  Some have never fully grasped the
pattern.

Another complication behind "which's/ whiches/ which it's" is that many
speakers are uncomfortable with using "whose" for inanimate antecedents.

JL