hanging whiches revisited (thanks to DARE, via Joan)

Herb Stahlke hfwstahlke at GMAIL.COM
Tue Jun 17 02:32:04 UTC 2014

I haven't seen much on the Keenan-Comrie Accessibility Hierarchy, one form
of which goes

subject > direct object > object of a preposition > possessive > object of
a comparative particle

English allows wh-relatives down to OCP, as in

The speed of light, which nothing can go faster than, slows down on an LA
freeway.

Beyond the hierarchy we seem to get into island constraints, which work
only with resumptive pronouns:

The woman who I know the guy who married *0/her lives in Indy.

But in non-formal registers and non-Standard varieties, resumptives show up
especially in that-relatives.

That's the book that I read 0/?it last week.