Antedating of "sheesh" [1955]

Hugo hugovk at GMAIL.COM
Tue Jun 17 09:21:38 UTC 2014

> Variety has a slightly earlier example...
>
> "Top 30 Songs on TV ... Sheesh, What a Grouch. Jaglea."
> Variety, 23 Feb 1955, p. 42
>
> The same listing appears in the 26 Feb 1955 issue of Billboard:
> http://books.google.com/books?id=QxkEAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA46
>
> JaGlea was Jackie Gleason's music publishing company. The song was
> sung by Art Carney -- you can hear it here:
>
> https://archive.org/details/ArtCarney-01-06
>
> --bgz

And Billboard has a slightly earlier, more exasperated, example...

Page 56, The Billboard, January 15, 1955:

ART CARNEY
Sheeesh, What a Grouch... 67
COLUMBIA 40387--Carney is still trying to come up with a material
click--trying too hard, maybe--this won't make it.

http://books.google.com/books?id=rRkEAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA56&dq=sheeesh

Google News gives nothing old but gives this new:

"On a lighter side, I always remember Art Carney, as Ed Norton on "The
Honeymooners," saying, "Sheesh, what a grouch!" whenever Jackie Gleason, as
Ralph Cramden, blew his stack. Humor can be like releasing a pressure valve
to relieve the stress of anger."

http://www.christianpost.com/news/the-deadly-sin-of-anger-is-on-the-rise-120562/

"The Honeymooners is an American sitcom [1955-1956], based on a recurring
1951–55 sketch of the same name. It originally aired on the DuMont
network's Cavalcade of Stars and subsequently on the CBS network's The
Jackie Gleason Show".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Honeymooners

So for there to be a January 1955 record from the show, it must be pre-1955
in the show...

Hugo