Odd hyphenations

imwitty imwitty at GMAIL.COM
Wed Jun 18 05:54:08 UTC 2014

QUOTE:
"Another possibility: their text layout bot applies rules rather than
using a dictionary.  (I doubt if a human hand touches newspaper
end-of-line decisions these days.)"
END QUOTE

Maybe you are right about Boston Globe.... I just worked for a much smaller
local newspaper, with human editors, proofreaders, and layout guys ...
different scale.

On Tue, Jun 17, 2014 at 6:58 PM, Joel S. Berson <Berson at att.net> wrote:

> -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: Odd hyphenations

> At 6/17/2014 07:13 PM, imwitty wrote:
> >Another possibility: their page layout person was trying to squeeze and
> fit
> >that article in the available space, and used  that really weird
> >hyphenation, instead of tracking (i.e., reducing space between the
> letters)
> >without using some smaller size font.
>
> Another possibility: their text layout bot applies rules rather than
> using a dictionary.  (I doubt if a human hand touches newspaper
> end-of-line decisions these days.)
>
> Joel

L.
Please reply to imwitty at gmail.com
This e-mail is a natural product.  The slight
variations in spelling and grammar enhance
its individual character and beauty and in no
way are to be considered flaws or defects.