Joke: Mr. Funk, I think you're a prink! (circa 1953)

Sat Jun 21 18:28:49 UTC 2014

Charles C Doyle wrote

> Speaking of names and spoonerisms (in this case, an
> artistically-crafted one):  Somebody--WHO?--is said to have
> exclaimed to the famous  dictionary maker, "Mr. Funk,
> you're a prink!"

Charlie: The joke collector Gershon Legman states that a version of
this wordplay was in circulation in New York circa 1953.

Title: Rationale of the Dirty Joke: An Analysis of Sexual Humor
Editor and compiler: Gershon Legman
Edition: 2006 reprint of 1968 edition
Google Books Preview
Quote Page 135

[Begin excerpt]
Even a mere slip of the tongue - actually a neat 'return of the
repressed' — has been collected in the mispronunciation category. A
woman who worked for Funk-Brentano (the German historian) for forty
years is fired suddenly without warning. “Mr. Funk,” she says,
gathering up her erasers, “I think you're a prink!” (N.Y. 1953.)
[End excerpt]

Garson