ch'ilin, qilin, kirin, girin, kylan

Mon Jun 23 17:21:56 UTC 2014

Thank you for the follow-up on the glyph etymologies. I looked at some Japanese references.

大漢語林 says "it is said" that the male is the first and the female the second character.

Both 大辞林 and 大字源 say there is one such theory but don't explain further.

Chinese Wiktionary (https://zh.wiktionary.org/wiki/%E9%BA%92%E9%BA%9F) simply says 麒為雄獸,麟為雌獸 without seeming to discuss the issue further. Chinese Wikipedia (https://zh.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E9%BA%92%E9%BA%9F) has 雄麒雌麟 as a red link.