Didn't as [dIdInt]

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Tue Jun 24 13:11:48 UTC 2014

We did have some discussion of the "Oh no you didint" (or "Oh no you di'int"--cf. ) trope; this isn't the the same, since that one has a glottal stop, but it's parallel because of the [I] vowel in the (not completely) unstressed syllable.  Then there's the Connecticut shibboleth, which we've also discussed, for the corresponding voiceless cases like "kitten" and "(New) Britain".  In all these cases, there is what I'm thinking (with my untrained phonetician skills) is a glottal stop followed by [In] where I have (I think) a simultaneous alveolar + glottal closure followed by a syllabic n. (For the "di-int" meme and the Connecticut "Britain" there's no alveolar closure, just the glottal one.)  That's how I'd normally do "Milton" (alveolar + glottal followed by syllabic), but if I were repeating it for clarity I'd go with the [-t at n] pronunciation.  I think it's also a frequency thing; there's a town in CT that I almost never refer to but when I do it's [wIlt at n].

LH