"goodie two-shoes"

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Sat Mar 1 01:36:57 UTC 2014

At 2/28/2014 04:28 PM, Laurence Horn wrote:
>On Feb 28, 2014, at 1:51 PM, Dan Goncharoff wrote:
>
> > Why is "goodie" good, but "goodie two-shoes" not so good?

>"goodie-goodie" isn't so good either.  Too good
>to be true/too good for one's own good.  Not
>sure where the two shoes came from, though.

Under "two", Compounds: "Two-shoes n. nickname of
the girl heroine of the History of Little Goody
Two-shoes; hence, a quasi-proper name for a child."
      1765   Hist. Goody Two-Shoes i. iii.
21   The Pleasure she took in her two Shoes..by
that Means [she] obtained the Name of Goody Two-Shoes.

Some years ago I sent Jesse the following
quotation from 1665: "He called his mother ...
Gammar Two Shooes".  Narr. Case John Porter, Jun.
in N. B. Shurtleff Rec. Governor & Company of
Massachusetts Bay in New Eng. (1853–4) IV.
216.  He was not being polite (this is from the
same source as "piss-house", "shitabed",
"shit-house", and the
not-yet-accepted-as-actually-English "ram
bugger"), and he came close to being executed for
being a rebellious son -- so I don't think it's a
"quasi-proper name for a child".

Joel