Goody two shoes

Tue Mar 4 09:18:05 UTC 2014

The following phrase occurred in the 1670 poem "A Voyage to Ireland in
Burlesque" as reprinted in an 1890 note:

Wilson Gray wrote:
> She's not a female mayor, but merely the *wife* of the mayor, right? There
> was (is?) a problem in Russian with the naming of women in professions
> traditionally reserved to men in those cases in which the traditional
> feminine form of the word for a person engaged in that profession named the
> wife of a man in that profession and did not name a woman in that
> profession, e,g,  _doktorsha_ "doctor's wife, 'mistress doctoress'." There
> was a note about this problem in the Army Language School textbook, back in
> the '50's.
>
> Maybe Victor will bring me up to date.

I was unable to find an early editon of "A Voyage to Ireland in
Burlesque". The following 1841 reprint referred to the "may'r" and the
"Mistress may'ress". I think that Wilson is correct that "Mistress
may'ress" referred to the wife of the mayor.

Year: 1841
Title: Specimens of the British Poets: With Biographical and Critical
Notices, and An Essay on English Poetry