"Mistress may'ress"

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Tue Mar 4 15:20:36 UTC 2014

I don't know why finding a 1670 impression is
important for understanding what "Mistress
may'ress" meant.  However, "A Voyage to Ireland
in Burlesque" will be found in Poems on several
occasions written by Charles Cotton ... (London:
Printed for Tho. Bassett ...; Will. Hinsman and
Tho. Fox..., 1689).  EEBO.  Or also (perhaps) the
English Poetry database.  And on paper at Harvard.

As for what it meant, isn't the OED sufficient?

"mayoress", 2. The wife of a mayor; (also) a
woman nominated to fulfil the ceremonial duties
of a mayor's wife. (The only established use until the late 19th cent.)

"Mistress mayoress" in the second sense above
surely applies (mutatis mutandis) to the women
nominated by President François Hollande.

Joel