"If Washington agreed sanctions"

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Tue Mar 4 17:09:31 UTC 2014

 From Yahoo News:

-----
Moscow (AFP) - Russia could reduce to zero its economic dependency on
the United States if Washington agreed sanctions against Moscow over
Ukraine, a Kremlin aide said on Tuesday, warning that the American
financial system faced a "crash" if this happened.

"We would find a way not just to reduce our dependency on the United
States to zero but to emerge from those sanctions with great benefits
for ourselves," said Kremlin economic aide Sergei Glazyev.
-----

Glazyey's translator must have learned his English in
England.  Although scanning the OED I'm not sure that this
construction is/was even used in England -- if it's there, it's hard to find.

Joel