Do New-Englanders *add* R's?

Geoffrey Steven Nathan geoffnathan at WAYNE.EDU
Tue Mar 4 18:18:44 UTC 2014

I don't have access to the script for Oklahoma at the moment (a number of years ago I was in a summer stock production of it) but my memory is that many of the words with schwa (particularly unstressed 'to', for example) were spelled 'ter'.

The online versions of the song lyrics don't show this, but I think the original score and book did. Since it was written by Americans based on an American book (Green Grow the Lilacs) I just looked that up (you can find absolutely anything online) and found Aunt Eller saying 'skeered a womern to death' in Act 1, Scene 1, as well as 'hollers' (='hollows', which I think has been discussed earlier on this list).

OT: It surprised me how much of the original play was imported verbatim into the musical.

Geoff

Geoffrey S. Nathan
Faculty Liaison, C&IT
and Professor, Linguistics Program
http://blogs.wayne.edu/proftech/
+1 (313) 577-1259 (C&IT)

Nobody at Wayne State will EVER ask you for your password. Never send it to anyone in an email, no matter how authentic the email looks.