Do New-Englanders *add* R's?

Wed Mar 5 03:54:10 UTC 2014

What's strange is that the British dialects that have - at r in window, bellow, etc, are Southwestern ones, which are rhotic.  There might be some sort of contact phenomena involved with the neighboring non-rhotic groups, which have -@ (and linking /r/ popping in if the next word begins with a vowel).  The same sort of explanation could hold in the US, particularly in the South and Northeast, where the prestige accents used to be non-rhotic.

There's also the possibility of - at l in these cases in a few British dialects, like the very rhotic Bristol dialect.  Bristol used to be Bristow.  As far as I know, despite a lot of Bristolians coming here (especially to N New England; SE New England; and the Carolinas), this never came over here.

Oh, wait a second.  According to Gick (2002), it did in the Philadelphia area, and is found in other Midland localities.  This is an area where you can get /l/-vocalization, parallel to /r/-vocalization in other dialects, but it is favored by a preceding /O/, or in the area where COT/CAUGHT are merged, /O/ or /a/.   Bristolian favors it after schwa, though the /l/ is very dark and can pull the vowel back to [O].  I think /l/-vocalization is variable there, unlike the Southeast where it's frequently categorical.  And yet, Londoners don't say "I sawl it".

Paul