Ukraine vs The Ukraine

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Wed Mar 5 22:13:48 UTC 2014

Maybe names that incorporate adjectives are exempt (The United States/United Kingdom/Soviet Union/Former Yugoslavia :).  That still leaves "The Netherlands" (unless you parse it as "The Nether Lands"), and of course "The Philippines" and "The Ukraine" as the real test cases of practice vs. prescription, a bit like "Sixth Avenue" vs. "The Avenue of the Americas".  And then there's the real victim of colonial hegemonist subjugation, THE Bronx.

LH