"the whole six yards" -- One more suggestion

Cohen, Gerald Leonard gcohen at MST.EDU
Sun Mar 9 19:15:45 UTC 2014

Inspired by Bonnie Taylor-Blake's excellent postings on "the whole nine yards" and "the whole six yards," I began some checking of my own and found a possible explanation for "the whole six yards":
the smaller bulk rolls of artists' canvas, which (according to one account) are typically three yards to six yards.  So if an artist would "shoot the works", he/she would use the whole six yards.

Note also the last sentence of the passage I quote below:
"FN #33 (on p. 7): ‘Tr. At 137 (Mr. Benator) (noting that Tara sells bulk rolls of print canvas and that print converters may also sell print canvas in rolls of varying sizes)."
My interest here is for the final words: "...may also sell print canvas in rolls of varying sizes".         Might those sizes extend to nine yards?

We're of course into speculation here.  But the mere possibility that bulk rolls of canvas provide the original context for "the whole six yards" seems worthy of further checking.

I present the relevant quote beneath my signoff.

Gerald Cohen

http://books.google.com/books?id=YB6HSUNSE10C&pg=PA7&dq=6-yards,+canvas+rolls&hl=en&sa=X&ei=SrrgUIH0FIjXqgGMnYGQCQ&ved=0CEAQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=6-yards%2C%20canvas%20rolls&f=false

Artists' Canvas from China, Inv. 731-TA-1091 (Final)
By U.S. International Trade Commission
p.7: ‘…Such coated canvas is used exclusively for artists’ canvas, giving the product its unique qualities.  The coating provides the ultimate end user with the surface upon which to produce a graphic presentation, and the canvas serves as the material that bests supports the coated surface.  Whether sold in bulk or finished form artists’ canvas serves the same elemental function in the creative process.

‘In times of interchangability, most of the larger bulk rolls are converted to cut sheets to make stretched canvas, panels, or pads.  The smaller bulk rolls (typically 3 yards to six yards) are purchased by professional or other serious artists, who prefer to stretch their own canvas.  Therefore, bulk rolls usually, though not exclusively, undergo further processing before use by the artist. …’