dreckly

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Tue Mar 18 14:53:36 UTC 2014

On Mar 18, 2014, at 10:48 AM, Joan H. Hall wrote:

> DARE shows "dreckly" in the sense "Soon, after a while" to be found
> chiefly in the South and South Midland. No ideas about Cornish
> background, though.

I wonder to what extent this is really a word of its own, though.  If I heard someone say they'd be here /'drEkli/, I'd parse that as a reduced or allegro form of "directly" and not really a distinct lexeme deserving of its own entry any more than "awright" or "cumfterfbull".  Now "dreck(i)ly" = 'in a shitty manner', that would be something else.

LH