Each?

Dan Goncharoff thegonch at GMAIL.COM
Fri Mar 21 19:32:30 UTC 2014

Read today in the NYTimes book review section:

"Many of Ms. Antopol's stories pivot on role reversals. In one of them, two
brothers in the Israeli Army -- each is in love with the same woman -- see
their tortured relationship upended when one is gravely injured."

I would have written 'both are' instead of 'each is', and 'each is' strikes
me as wrong, in that it denotes a separateness that is violated when
followed by 'the same woman'.

Am I completely off base, or is this just a matter of 'to each his own'?

DanG