Each?

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Fri Mar 21 23:47:40 UTC 2014

On Mar 21, 2014, at 5:22 PM, Randy Alexander wrote:

> Could you not say "each brother is in love with the same woman"?
>
> Isn't their separateness what causes the conflict? I would think that
> emphasizing that might be something that contributes to selecting "each"
> over "both" (although there's no grammatical problem with either).

Very well put.  That is to say, this is what I was going to say, but better.  These are two separate facts--A is love with Ms. X; B is in love with Ms. X--rather than one--A and B are both are in love with Ms. X.  The distributivity of "each" brings that out, which is why (I think) the reviewer went that route.  But I agree that there's a bit of sleight of mind involved when you get to "the same woman", as Dan suggests.  So there's a trade-off.

LH