buoy [boy] ~ [BOO-ee]

Sat Mar 22 17:53:51 UTC 2014

Go to Scotland, and it gets more confusing.  Because of the extra [^u] diphthong in Scots, it's quite frequently the equivalent to [BOW-ee].  At least David is.  I don't think they've heard much about Jim or his knife, unless they're old Western fans.

While we're at it, try pronouncing the name McKeown.  The American one I knew was the same as McEwan, complete with the schwa.  In Scotland, it was [m at kj^un] with the same diphthong described above.

My native form for buoy was BOY, but I changed it in young adulthood, except in the senses you mention, which are retained.

Paul Johnston